Consultation Workshop on
Importance, need and scope of Embankment Asset Management System on 23rd.
December 2013, Organized by FMISC, Anisabad, Patna- WRD, Govt. of Bihar
at Hotel Chandralok Continental Muzaffarpur,
Click here for
Workshop on Importance, need and scope of Embankment Asset
Management System on 20th.
December 2013, Organized by FMISC, Anisabad, Patna- WRD, Govt. of
Bihar at Conference Hall, Walmi, Patna,
Click here for
26.05.13 Visit of Ms Sri Mulyani Indrawati,
MD and Bertrand Badre, Managing Director Finance and CFO, World
Ms. Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Managing
Director, World Bank Group and Bertrand Badre, Managing Director
Finance and CFO, World Bank Group visited FMISC, Anisabad, Bihar
along with a team on Sunday, May 26, 2013 to have a look on
various activities carried out within the centre. Posters were
prepared and display/ Screen show was organized to brief/
explain the activities, information product generated at FMIS
centre. Demonstration of map preparation, FMIS website and
database were also elaborated before the team. A brief
discussion and interaction session was also organized between
the visiting team & officials/specialists......
here for Photographs
Power Point Presentation was given by
I.I.T, Guwahati representative Prof. Subashisa Dutta on the
topic " Water Balance Analysis for the time period 1970 - 1975
and 2000 - 2004 from Patna Gandhi Ghat to Farakka of River Ganga,
and steady state ground water modelling" on 03-05-13
A team of three officers
comprising of Shri Bimlendu Kumar Sinha, Deputy Director, Md. Perwez
Akhtar, Assistant Professor and Md. Zakaullah, Assistant
Engineer from Flood Management Improvement Support Centre (FMISC),
WRD, Patna visited Bangladesh during August 04-10, 2012.The main
objective of the tour was to review the setup, organogram,
functions and experience in generation and application of Models
etc. developed by Institute of Water Modeling (IWM) and Centre
for Environmental and Geographic Information Services (CEGIS) at
Dhaka, Bangladesh. The study tour was undertaken with an idea
that it would provide the concept building information helpful
for establishing the proposed Centre of Excellence at Birpur to
be implemented under the Bihar Kosi Flood Recovery Project
financed by the World Bank IDA Credit. ......
Click for Photographs
study tour for four officials of FMISC/ Water Resources
Department, Govt. of Bihar was organized & sponsored by the
World Bank between June 19, 2012 and July 2, 2012. The aim of
the study tour was to be aware of the flood management practices
and latest tools and techniques for Embankment management and
its maintenance in USA and replicate it with suitable
modifications for the same purposes in the Bihar context.
The tour started with an overview of
Civil Works Program of USACE (United States Army Corps of
Engineers) by USACE officials at its HQ at Washington, then to
USGS (United States Geological Survey) HQ at Virginia to know
about the activities of USGS. After that visit to field offices
of USACE at Rock Island & further down along the Missisipi to
New Orleans where the National Database, Levee Safety program,
HSDRRS (Hurricane Storm Damage Risk Reduction System), the
working of Bonne Carre Spillway System etc were briefed about.
The team also had the chance to visit New Orleans Port Authority
where functioning of dredger was demonstrated. The discharge
measurement of Missisipi River at Baton Rouge with the use of
ADCP was also demonstrated. The study tour ended on 2nd July
with address of Joint Director to the World Bank officials at
Washington about the experience gained during the study tour,
its usefulness & asking the World Bank’s continued support in
importing this knowledge & technology to Bihar conditions......
Click for Photograph
- Mr. Joop Stoutjesdijk, Lead Irrigation Engineer and Ms. Ranu Sinha, Operation Analyst of the World Bank visited the FMIS centre on 19th and 20th May 2011 to discuss the various activities to be undertaken under Kosi Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Project for Water Resources Component.
- Second series training workshop on Tools and Techniques for flood forecasting and modeling was held from 24th April -28th April 2011. The Hon. Minister, WRD, Bihar, Mr. Vijay Kumar Chaudhary, inaugurated the session and was attended by Mr. Afzal Amanullah, Principal Secretary, WRD along with Engineer- in- Chief (North) and other Engineers of Water Resources Department, Bihar.
This was the second visit of Dr. Shfiqul Islam, Professor Civil and Env. Engg. Tufts university , Medford, USA to impart training. Dr. S.T. Chari, Consultant, World Bank supported the training sessions. The last day session on 28th April 11, was attended by World Bank officials Mr. Winston Yu and Ms. Natalie Giannelli.
- The Hon. Minister, WRD, Bihar, Mr. Vijay Kumar Chaudhary, visited the FMIS Centre on 5th March 2011. He interacted with the officers of FMISC to appraise with the activities of the Centre.
- Committee of senior engineers of UP Irrigation Department (UPID) visited the FMISC, Bihar for study tour during 20th January and 21st January 2011. The committee comprised of Er. Radhacharan, Chief Engineer Level-I (East), Er. A.K. Ojha, Chief Engineer, Planning and Investigation and Er. S.N.Sharma, Executive Engineer, Flood Divn-II, Gorakhpur. The activities of the centre was briefed by Er. S.A.Kabir, Flood Management Consultant cum Advisor FMISC, Patna. The team appreciated the effort of FMISC and desired to visit the centre again in the future.
- Five days training workshop on Tools and Techniques for flood forecasting and modelling (series-1) was held during 6th Dec. -10th Dec. 2010 to impart training to Engineers of the Water Resources Department. The inaugural session was attended by senior officials of WRD, Bihar including Chief Engineer Siwan, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Planning and Monitoring and representatives of several Chief Engineers.
The training was given by Dr. Shafiqul Islam, Professor Civil and Env. Engg. Tufts University, Medford, USA and was supported by World Bank officials , Mr. S. Raja Gopal, Ms. Natalie Giannelli and Dr. S.T. Chari.
The training sessions were also attended by Sri. P.K. Srivastava, Basin Planning Expert, State Water Resources agency, U.P.
- Training on Long-Lead Flood Forecasting and Applications held at Maurya Hotel, Patna, Bihar from 18th to 21 August 2009.
- FMIS Advisory Committee Meeting held on 24th
- Proposal for FMIS Phase II was submitted to
World Bank on 4th June 08.
- Request for Extension of FMIS Phase I till
30th June 08 submitted to World Bank on 2nd June 08.
- State Level Workshop held on 16th May 2008 at WALMI.
- The Fourth FMIS Techincal Committee Meeting was held at FMISC, Jalsansadhan Bhawan Anisabad, Patna on 14th May 2008
- The website of FMIS Bihar was inaugurated by Mr. Ramashraya Prasad Singh, the then Hon'ble Minister, WRD and Parliamentary Affairs on 26th March 2008.
- Joint Donor Team of World Bank, DFID & Japan bank of International Cooperation visited FMIS Cell on 12th Feb, 2008.
- Improved version of FMIS software installed by NRSA scientists on 23rd January, 2008.
- FMIS Bihar project extended by World Bank to 29 Feb 2008 and proposal for second extension till June 2008 has been sent to DEA and World Bank on 7th February, 2008.
- FMIS cell shifted from Tara Mandal premises to Anisabad Jal Sansadhan Bhawan on 24th December, 2007.
- The compendium of the maps customized for WRD, DMD and Agriculture Department released by Principal Secretary on 24th October, 2007.
- Brain storming meeting held on 26th September, 2007.
- BIRSAC – Agreement on facilitation on 14th August, 2007.
- Visit by the FMISC team to Muzaffarpur and Khagaria districts for field verification on 4th and 9th August, 2007.
- Daily flood information bulletin prepared by FMISC is being included in the daily bulletin of WRD, Bihar in 2007 Flood season.
- Analysis and Map preparation completed for 28 numbers of flood inundation layers based on Radarsat Satellite data obtained from NRSA, Hyderabad.
- MoU signed with IMD on 7th June, 2007 for rainfall forecast.
- Visit of Dr. Upmanu Lall, Professor, Columbia Univ., USA and his team on 8th June, 2007.
- A Prototype FMIS Software installed by NRSA Scientist on 20th June, 2007.
- First product in the form of Inundation Map of 17th June, 2007 of Sitamarhi & Muzaffarpur districts.
- MoU signed with NRSA, Hyderabad on the 4th of May, 2007 for supply of satellite imagery, development and implementation of FMIS.
- Procurement plan approved by WRD on 14th April, 2007.
- Cabinet Sanction to FMIS on 22nd January, 2007.